Pick up a phone and call if its very sensitive or can come back to bite you, just see failbook.com for example of bad posts 🙂
2) There is no such thing as privacy in the digital world
If it’s in electronic form it can be hacked and shared!
3) "Hide" All updates on your news feed from "friends", pages, & apps that you can careless about their updates.
When you hover over a post/update an down arrow will appear to the upper right of the post in your news feed. When you click on the arrow you will have an option to "Hide this story", "Unsubscribe from status update by <user>", & "Hide all by <page/applications>".
As of the 9/21/11 you can now post you can limit who sees you post by list of people you create, see #4.
For example, you can hide all updates from Farmland but still get updates from John Doe. Or you can hide all updates from John Doe no matter what he does.
4) Create friends lists and use them!
For example I have the following lists: 0 Main Feed, 1 Best Friends, 2 Good Friends, Technical Friends, Atlanta Friends, Denver Friends, etc. I use a # in front of the main ones since the list are alphabetically sorted on-line and on the iPhone.
When I want to see what’s going on with my friends in Atlanta I click on Friends\Atlanta Friends.
As of 9/22/11 these list can now be used to limit who sees your posts!
Get started by going to: http://www.facebook.com/friends/edit?sk=unlisted (This will bring up your friends)
Hover over your friends name and a pop-up should come up that has a Friends and Subscribe button
Hover over the friends button and then choose which list this friend should be on, or create a new list. They can be a member of multiple list. The "Close Friends" list is a system one and should only contain close friends, they will automatically get notifications when you post new things. The "Acquaintances" list will get minimum updates.
To unhide updates see: http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=14574.
5) Don’t waste time on silly apps, unless you have a job where you just sit around most of the day and don’t have any other work to do. BUT NEVER waste other people’s time by sending them invites!!!
6) Get F.B. Purity and use it to filter out junk like "So and so changed their profile pic" or added new friends. I also use it to block ALL apps by default. I then click on the Show button\link occasionally and WL (White List) applications I want to see updates from.
12/1/11: Just discovered Social Fixer today that adds new features and I think does a lot of what FB Purity does. Right now I’m running them both. Best features of SF is that it adds Tabs for each app in your News Feed, which further helps cut down on the noise for those apps you white listed.
7) Use Events to plan for things, these can then easily be exported to Outlook and other PIM clients
8) Google "Facebook tips" for more
9) If you don’t want certain people to see your post (See #1 & 2), you can hide post to members of a friend list (#4). Once you do this they won’t see any post on your wall either. They will still see you post & comments on mutual friends’ walls.
A) Great a list of people that you don’t want to see your wall posts (See #4)
B) Got Account\Privacy Settings (http://www.facebook.com/help/?search=hide+posts#!/settings/?tab=privacy)
C) Click on Custom under "Sharing on Facebook"
D) Click Customize settings
E) Click the box to the right of "Post by me" and choose Customize
F) Enter the list created in step A) in the Hide this from These People:" box
How to customize your News Feed