11/7/16 Added a “Known & Possible Issues” list
11/4/16 Urgent Update: Do NOT deploy Exchange 2016 CU3 (or earlier) on Windows 2016 at this time. See URGENT: Hold off on deploying Exchange 2016 on Windows 2016 for more details.
Today, 9/20/2016 Microsoft release CU14 for Exchange 2013 and CU3 for 2016.
EHLO Blog post: Released: September 2016 Quarterly Exchange Updates
Exchange 2016 Key Updates
- Windows Server 2016 Support
- Also includes .Net 4.6.2 support, on Windows 2016 Only currently
- .Net 4.6.2 support will be required by March 2017, which will be supported on Windows 2008 R2 and higher by then
- Local indexing for search or “Read from Passive” support – Starting with CU3 the local DB, passive or active, will be used to index the content in the DB for search. Before CU3 servers hosting passive copies had to query the active copy of the DB to create the local search index. This change may result in up to a 40% reduction in bandwidth. This may also speed up failovers since the passive copy no longer need to query the active copy and make local updates before being made active. Lagged copies will still need to communicate coordinate with the active copy.
- A data loss scenario was addressed with Public Folder migration (KB3161916)
- AD scheme is updated with CU3
- Pre-requisite install behavior changed so server is not placed in off-line monitoring state at the start of the install, now this is only done once the pre-requisite checks are done and the install of binaries is started
There are no key updates in Exchange 2013 CU14.
PS: Exchange 2007 End of Life (EOL) is now only seven months away, 4/11/2017, after this date 2007 will not longer be covered under extended support. Read more here. If you are still on 2007 you need to be migrating off of it NOW!
Known & Possible Issues
- 11/8/16: 2016:Mails stuck in queue after Exchange 2016 CU3 install, see: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/karthikm/2016/11/08/mails-stuck-in-queue-after-exchange-2016-cu-install/
- Work around: Install CU3 on all servers in the DAG
- 11/4/16: 2016: Issue with Windows 2016 & DAG members: Hold off on deploying Exchange 2016 on Windows 2016
- No work around, do not deploy Exchange 2016 on Windows 2016 at this time
- 10/26/16: 2013: Exchange content indexing may fail, see: https://jaapwesselius.com/2016/10/26/exchange-2013-cu14-content-indexing-failed/ and http://exchangeserverpro.com/issues-reported-exchange-server-2013-cu14-exchange-server-2016-cu3/
- No known work around, except deploying new CU13 servers and moving mailboxes back to them.
- Call PSS if you run into this issue